Zucchini is a tried and true staple, and one that deserves a slot on any menu- no matter the time of year. With that in mind, we thought we'd bring you an exciting way of preparing it - Fried Zucchini Sticks. These delectable spears are the perfect substitute for unhealthy french fries, and offer a way to still get all the great nutrients that zucchini boasts in a much healthier alternative to those heavy french fries. All you need is a couple of farm fresh zucchini and a bag of Drum Rock and you're good to go... Let's get cooking! Fried Zucchini Sticks
2 or 3 medium to large zucchini
4 cups of Drum Rock Spicey Fry (or Fis-Chic if you want a little less heat)
1 cup of water
Oil for frying
Paper towels/bowls for draining Directions:
1. Fill the fryolator with oil and turn to 350° F.
2. Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise, then slice each half again lengthwise so it is quartered. Then carefully cut each quarter in half, from the point down, so you have thinner slices that will cook through. Finally, cut the pieces in half crosswise so the sticks are a manageable length. (If you prefer even thinner matchstick fries, then you can slice the sticks once more.)
3. We wanted to try rounds, too, because they are also great for dipping, so we cut one zucchini into ½-inch slices.
4. Pour about 2 cups Spicey Fry (or Fis-Chic) in a large bowl and mix in about 1 cup of water; you want a consistency that is like very thin pancake batter, so adjust the amount of water accordingly. In a second bowl, add 2 cups of dry Spicey Fry for dry dusting. 5. When the oil is up to temp, dredge the zucchini slices/rounds in the wet Spicey Fry, working in batches of 3-4 pieces at a time. Allow excess batter to drip off, then transfer to the dry mix. Once well coated, carefully place the zucchini in the hot oil.
6. The sticks/rounds should take about a minute to cook through, and will fry up to a beautiful dark golden brown. You will know they are done when the bubbles slow down. Remove from oil, and drain on paper towel or plate.
7. Cool slightly before serving, either alone, or with a side of cool ranch dressing!
Zucchini sticks fried up in a thin crispy coat of Drum Rock tasted like perfection, and we think they are an ideal way to help usher in the return of the beautiful summer season. And a side of ranch dressing is perfect for dipping, offering that cool creaminess that pairs so well with our Spicey Fry. So if you're looking for a way to add a little excitement to your tired side of zucchini or are looking for a creative new appetizer to serve, we know you'll love our delicious alternative to french fries. There's no wrong way when it comes to Drum Rock, so give these a try! We promise you'll love them!!